Friday, September 11, 2009

living

Our life is very complicated.  Being in a health professional, it is my duty to help my patients to get better, to feel better, and to be free of disease.  I take this responsibility by heart.
I am currently taking an aging and health class.  It makes me wonder how long we should live.  Our life is not limited.  We extend our life by the use of medicine and technology.  We apply our basic science knowledge to our daily life.  We learn about how the cells work.  We learn about how to make our cells feel better.  We learn the basic mechanism that governs life on earth and yes, we are trying to prevent it from stopping.
Many people have the blessings of living a long life without any chronic disease.  However, many people do not have this luxury.  however, they still live a lot longer than previous generations due to the advance of science.  However, I wonder how their quality of life is like.  I wonder whether they feel happy.
Our main goal is to treat patients with disease.  We can't treat old age.  We can't reverse what has been done.  It's like the past... our cells can only replicate to a certain point.  However, are we ready to understand that someday we all will pass away?

No comments:

Post a Comment