Wednesday, November 4, 2009

elderly...coupledhood

Learning about the elder adults...
I had/have an interest in learning more about older adults.  Started enrolling in an aging class.  We learned about different aspects of aging.  What is the myth and what is the truth.  Yesterday discussion was about couplehood. I wonder... well, here in the US, in the culture that we live in, getting married and divorce are quite common.  The rate has slowed down but in comparison to my knowledge in another country, it's a lot higher.  I guess living and being raised in a different cultures did have big impacts on you on some aspects.  I was ingrained in my brain that the relationship between husband and wife were never equal.  Having the freedom that I have now refrain me from settling down and starting a family.   But it's a different issue.
One of the questions that was raised in the class was : why would you want to get married?  Who would be the best person to get married with?  Majority answer: you get married because of companionship.. you get married to somebody that you can share your love and hate and many other things in life.  You get married in order to be complete.  I guess they are legitimate reasons.  One thing I never thought of... people still enjoyed sexual relationship even when they got a lot older.  They were still sexually active until the age of 60 or 70.  The performance decreased significantly but medications and medical devices are readily available to enhance the performance.  I guess for some people, it's part of their quality of life.  without it, life would not be very complete or meaningful.
Thinking about the people around me, the people that I know, I don't think I have seen them remarried.  Most stay as they are : single.  Single handedly raised their children to success.
It's interesting to see how diversely people can react when given the same situations.  I don't know what I'll do :D and I'm not sure whether I will reach that state to even contemplate.
I guess as long as they are happy... whatever works :)

No comments:

Post a Comment