Wednesday, November 11, 2009

OSCE and the like..

and my blogging continues...
I had my OSCE this morning... it went well or at least I think it did.  It's over now.  I also finished the DI take home exam.  It took a while to finish because I didn't know what she really wanted us to write... so I was just writing down things I think are important. :)

All the patients were nice at the OSCE or at least I think they were.  A couple of them I think were even more nervous than I was for some reasons.  One of the ladies were just too hyper.  Overall, it was a good experience ^_^

So what is OSCE?  It's a patient interview or the clinical portion of our curriculum.  Each student needs to pass this every semester in order for us to graduate.  This semester, we are required to counsel patients on medications and devices that we've learned throughout the semester.  There are about 60 of them or more but Ms. D was nice enough to cut them down for us *big big big kudos*.  This is our first OSCE...so most of us were very nervous.  But ... it was good and I'm glad we have a chance to do this in school.  Better makes mistakes in the classroom than in real life ^_^.

We all got there before 8 am ( I woke up around 6:20 in order to get ready for the exam).  It was raining but I love every minute of it.  We were given a tag with our ID and password on it.  At about 7:50, we were led to a room to get the instruction from the coordinator who was pretty funny.  Then we were discharged into our station.  At 8 am, a big announcer told us to log in and continue the encounter... yes they call it an encounter.  I looked at the prescription and started to synthesize all the materials that I've learned from the past.  A knock on the door and there I was... I started talking and talking... before my patient had a chance to repeat what they need to say... I ran out of time.  I don't know whether I will be graded on this but hey... it's okie!  It went better than I thought.

It's raining hard today.  For some reasons, I felt the rain and the cold wind were just refreshing.  It was bitter cold as I walked down the road but... it was okie because I knew where I was heading.  I guess when you know where you want to go and which direction to take, things are not as scary as it should be.

Too much to do.. too little time.. but i'm hanging in there and trying my best...

I talked to P. today.  I was nice talking to her after a long time.  Listening to her voice and wondering what will happen in the next few years.... when let's say I graduate... and when she moves on and probably will be retired.  Many accidental encounters have been more than wonderful.... I'm not going to count my blessings because... there are too many... and it's nice necessary to do so. Just take it as it is... and learn to continue to learn, to continue to try and make the best out of all the given opportunities... because had I not taken the opportunities in the first place.. who knew where I would end up? :)

back to kinetic   

No comments:

Post a Comment